Water Pollution Control Plant
2299 County Line Road
Office: (229) 227-3273
The Thomasville Water Pollution Control Plant (WPCP) was first placed into service in 1944 and provided Primary Treatment. In 1968 Secondary Treatment was achieved with the addition of Trickling Filters and Anaerobic Digestion. The plant was expanded again in 1984 with the addition of a new Maintenance shop and Laboratory. In 1987 Tertiary Treatment was installed with the addition of an Activated sludge system for nutrient removal.
The WPCP had traditionally employed shift work to provide 24 hour, 365 day year coverage. In 1995, a SCADA system was employed which allowed the plant to eliminate shift work and reduce operation costs significantly. A Belt Press was added in 2002 and replaced the “Old Drying Beds” and the means for solids dewatering. Cascade Aeration was added in 2007 to provide additional oxygen without any use of chemicals.
Today, Thomasville’s WPCP is a 6.4 MGD Tertiary Treatment Facility that discharges cleaned effluent to the Oquina Creek, a tributary to the Ochlocknee River. The Plant staff must meet stringent NPDES requirement and are regulated by the Federal (EPA) and State Governments (EPD). Certified Wastewater Professionals take pride in insuring that our greatest natural resource is protected both now and in the future. The plant gives tours of it’s facility to various groups and ages and are proud to show citizens the importance and means required to protect our States Waterways.